Wednesday 31 May 2017

May - 6 month update - Pain free?



A few months ago, I didn't think this day would come.

I have had a run of several days with no pain.  No pain at all!  Not a slight twitch, nothing!  I didn't think that would ever be possible again.

It's now hard to remember what those early months were like when every movement caused pain.  When, by the end of the day I couldn't walk as it hurt so much.  How far I've come.  The human body is amazing really.  The human brain might be the most amazing as those early months are a blur to me in the same way that labour is.  It's probably for the best.

I'm still being careful.  Not going overboard on lots of walking or activities that might make things uncomfortable again but I think I can start relaxing about that now.  I may soon be able to wear skinny jeans!

Part of this is due to time and healing but the rest is thanks to my physiotherapist.  I had my first visit to see her.  She assessed that my pelvic floor was still, in fact, very weak (so all the work I had done hadn't paid off).  Apparently it's better to do a few good quality exercises rather than try and do loads during the day when my mind would be concentrating on doing other things e.g. feeding Flynn.  It would also be better to do them lying down.  We practiced some whilst I was there so she could feel I was doing them correctly.  It turns out what I had been doing was too much and I needed to be much more relaxed.

She also advised that I start using coconut oil on my scar to help with the pain and it really has helped.  Rubbing coconut oil on there every night has helped it feel less tight and uncomfortable there thus the pain free days.  Sure, it feels a bit weird but if she'd have suggested I eat 100 coconuts to make the pain go away I would have done it.


No comments:

Post a Comment